Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
WebColin

Default Table Format Style vs. Table Text Style

I'm not talking about the Normal Template. I have not changed that. I'm
talking about the Normal Style in my own Template, which just sets margins
and a few Styles for documents based on that template.

Also, restoring the Normal style did cause the first table to work.
Specifically, When I had set the Normal style in my template set to use the
Sabon font at 10.5 points and set Table style to Interstate font at 8.5
points, the table I created instead used Sabon 10.5. Then, when I reset the
Normal style to use Times New Roman 12 point, my Table correctly switched to
Interstate 8.5.

To hold the body font, I used the Body Text style.

But the second table I created appeared back as Sabon 10.5, even while the
first table was still correct.

- Colin

Word 2003, Win XP, all SP's applied to both

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I don't think restoring Normal to factory default does it. If you
start a fresh document, where Normal hasn't beeen modified at all, do
you still see the same problem?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"WebColin" wrote in message
You know what, it's worse than that. I experimented and thought I

confirmed
that the problem with the Normal style and Table style affected both

font
and size (if either was set in Normal, it overrode any settings for

Table
style). So, I created a Body Text style and reset Normal back to how

it
started. However, after that worked for the first table, for

subsequent
tables, the Table style started copying from Body Text. It's as if

the
problem with Normal shifted to the Body Text style. So I'm back

where I
started.

- Colin

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Since I never use table styles, I'm a bit vague on all this, but

perhaps
someone more knowledgeable can answer your question.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"WebColin" wrote in message
OK, hmm. That's an annoying bug (I guess they all are).

So, that leads to a few questions:

1. What features of the Table Style are overridden by changes to

the
Normal
Style? Is it just the font, or is there more? My Normal style

specifies:
font, Right margin, and Space After. It also says (but I think

these are
standard) Left, Line spacing: single, and Widow/Orphan control.

2. Is creating a new style (e.g. "Body Text") the best solution?

3. If I do create a new style (answer is Yes to #2), what should

I define
in
Normal versus in that other style? Just the font? Is there a

"best
practices" on this? Something on one of those great MVP pages?

Thanks so much,
Colin

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Yes, there is something special about table styles. It's

actually a bug
and
will be corrected in Word 12. If you modify the font of Normal

style,
then
the table style reverts to the default Normal.dot Normal font

(i.e.,
TNR
12).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"WebColin" wrote in message
Yes, I changed the core font from Times New Roman to our

specified
serif
font for this template. But the Table style font should

override that,
shouldn't it? All other styles based on Normal do (e.g.,

Headings).

[In fact, while it's not technically important, I'd add that

using the
Normal style for tables is generally bad formatting. A typical

table
should
be in a sans serifed font, whereas body text should be in a

serifed
font
(if
you question this, look in any magazine with tables). The only
possible
general purpose exception would be if you were using the table

just to
establish placement for various items, and not really as a
conventional
table.]

Is there something special about Table Styles? If so, what

should I
do?
didn't see a solution or work around on the web page you

listed. Is it
use a Body Text style instead of Normal for the bulk of the

text? If
Normal
is unmodified, would the Table Style fonts work? Is there

another
way -
don't want to have to go through my docs and change my Normal

text to
another style.

Thanks much,
Colin

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Did you modify the font of the Normal style? If so, the

settings
will
transfer to table styles. See the message by Klaus Linke in

the
thread
at:

http://groups.google.se/group/micros...0e16d9c49bac81

If you need more information, try searching the newsgroup

archives
at
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"WebColin" wrote in message
I have defined a Table format, including setting the text

for
"Whole
Table"
to a specific font. But the text in the tables of that

Style are
still in
the same font as the Normal style. This seems to be true

both for
preexisting tables and new tables I create with that table

style.

Of course I can manually set the font in the table or

define
another
text
style and apply that to the individual rows of text, but

that's not
supposed
to be necessary. Considering the number of tables and the

size of
the
document, I really don't want to have manually set the text

in each
table.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Colin

Word 2003, Windows XP all Office and OS SP's installed