Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarallen Tarallen is offline

Default Macro name different in Organizer

Hi Jay - yes, it has cleared up the confusion. Thank you very much for your
help!

Sincerely,
Tara

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Tara,

It's a shame there isn't some kind of "table of contents" for macro modules.
Here's one quick way to find a macro by name:

- Open the Tools Macro Macros dialog (shortcut = Alt+F8), check that the
"Macros in" box says "All active templates and documents", and click once on
the macro's name in the list.

- If the Edit button becomes active, click it to open the macro code. Then
the Project pane in the VBA editor will show you which module it's in.

- If the Edit button stays inactive, that means the macro is in an add-in
template. Go to the Tools Templates and Add-ins dialog to see which
templates are there. You'll have to use the File Open dialog and navigate
to Word's Startup folder to open the add-in directly, and then you'll be
able to use the Edit button in the Macros dialog.

If a macro is saved in a module within a template, and you copy the template
file (some file with a .dot extension), then the macro *will* go with it.
You can copy a whole module from one template to another by using the
Organizer; or you can copy the code of a macro from the VBA editor to the
clipboard, then open a different module in a different template and paste
the code into the VBA editor there. One other method is to use the Export
and Import commands on the File menu of the VBA editor -- export a module as
a .bas file, and then import that file into another template.

Has that helped to clear the confusion any?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Tarallen wrote:
Hi Jay,

I appreciate your response and the links you sent me. However, I am
now totally confused. What I'm missing is, how do I find the macro I
want? I can't find it in the template I saved it to. I understand it
is saved in a project, and the project could be named any of
"NewMacro" "Macro1" or "Macro2" but how do I know which one? Also,
how can I copy the template for use by others if the macro does not
go with it and when I try to move these projects to the "shared"
template, it won't let me overwrite the ones that are there. I'm
really trying to understand, but something is not clicking. Can you
please help fill in the gaps for me?

Thanks,
Tara

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Tara,

In the first paragraph of the article on Graham's web site, he says
"in the Microsoft Word newsgroups you may be offered macro listings."
That's what he meant by "the newsgroup message" in step 5. The same
technique works with macro listings you find on web pages such as
Graham's.

When you record a macro, the default is to place it in a module named
NewMacros, which is stored in Normal.dot. Because it's the default --
you don't have to do anything extra to get it there -- that's
certainly the easiest method. But it's like dumping all your tools
into the "junk drawer" -- it makes it harder to find the one you want
when you need it.

It's much better in the long run to organize your macros into
different templates, and within each template to group them into
different modules. You can do this at the time you create a new
macro, or you can move it later. Beth Melton has a great article
about this at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...nizeMacros.htm.

One other tip: The macro recorder is a starting place, but the macros
it makes tend to be loaded with unnecessary junk, and sometimes
they're just plain wrong. Read
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...ordedMacro.htm for
the details.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:50:03 -0800, Tarallen
wrote:

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reference. This site is great! I have a question
though - there was one instruction I did not understand - "5 Copy
the complete block of code from the newsgroup message to the
clipboard" - I'm not sure what block of code that is - what
newsgroup message? Please clarify.

Also - are these instructions necessary if I have just created a
recorded macro? I have never done anything with the actual code.
Would it be easier if I saved all new macros to All Documents
(Normal.dot) when I record them so that I never have to move them
around?

Thanks for your help - I feel like I'm getting closer!
Tara

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The organizer only shows macro modules and not the individual
macros they contain - see

Tarallen wrote:
Hello,

I have created a recorded macro and named it. However, when I
look in the Organizer, it just has "new macro" and "new macro 1"
Why is my new macro not showing up in the Organizer?

Also, do I have to save the macro to a template or can I just
save it in a document?

When I add the macro to a toolbar, it will not run from there - I
get the security setting error message even though security is
set to medium. However, it will run from Tools-macro-macros when
I select it in the list and click Run. Why is this?

Thanks for your help,
Tara