Jay Freedman

Default partial document line numbers

dianaiad wrote:
I am doing extensive quoting of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales". The poem
needs to have line numbers, but I do NOT want the explanatory text and
the title to be included in the line count. I've seen how to apply
line numbers to the entire text, but how do I apply it to only PART
of the text, just the quoted poetry?

Whether line numbers display is a section-level property. Insert a
continuous section break between the explanatory text and the poetry, and
enable line numbers only in the poetry section. Note that you can't
automatically continue the line numbering sequence from one poetry section
to the next if there is a non-numbered section between them; each section
will start at 1 or whatever you set in the Line Numbers dialog.

Oh, and how do I fix the footnotes so that there is no superscript in
the main document, and the footnotes (which will refer back to the
line numbers) still appear at the bottom of the page?

I don't think it's possible to make footnote numbers take their values from
line numbers. You can choose the nonbreaking space (Alt+0160) as the custom
footnote symbol so that no number appears either in the text *or* in the
footnote, and manually refer to the line number. Because the line numbers of
the quoted poetry won't change, that's probably acceptable here, but there's
no way to automate it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman