Default partial document line numbers

I hate to disagree with both Jay and Daiya, but line numbers are NOT
(entirely) a section property, and you CAN continue them after an unnumbered
portion of text, provided you just want to suppress the numbering for
specific paragraphs (as it seems you do). Set line numbering as Continuous.
Select the paragraph(s) you want unnumbered and use Format | Paragraph |
Line and Page Breaks: "Suppress line numbers" to discontinue numbering for
the selected text.

"dianaiad" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing extensive quoting of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales". The poem
needs to have line numbers, but I do NOT want the explanatory text and
the title to be included in the line count. I've seen how to apply line
numbers to the entire text, but how do I apply it to only PART of the
text, just the quoted poetry?

Oh, and how do I fix the footnotes so that there is no superscript in
the main document, and the footnotes (which will refer back to the line
numbers) still appear at the bottom of the page?

help?

Diana