Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
editor editor is offline

Default when shading a table one cell has a white streak at the bottom

Hi Lene,
Thank you. The suggestion to check the cell margins did the trick.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

Things you can check:
A. The "Apply to" field in Format Borders and Shading Shading tab must
be set to "Cell" in order for the shading to always fill out the selected
cell(s).

Could it be that "Apply to" has been set to e.g. "Paragraph" in the cell(s)
with white space? This will result in white space above and/or below the text
if you have applied space above and/or below the text in Format Paragraph.
In addition, if you have applied cell margins (Table Table Properties
Table tab Options), you will see white space along the sides with margins.

If A. is not the problem:
B. Do you have different bottom cell margins applied to the cells in the row
with the problem? This seems to result in white space at the bottom of cells
even it you apply the shading to the cells. For example, if one cell in a row
has 1mm bottom cell margin whereas the other cells have no bottom cell
margin, those cells will have 1mm white space at the bottom (i.e. only the
cell(s) with the largest bottom margin will be totally filled - other cells
will have a white space corresponding to the difference between the bottom
cell margins). For some reason, the same does not seem to apply if you have
different top cell margins (at least I did not see any white space in the top
of cells when testing in Word 2002 and 2003).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"editor" wrote:

I have windows xp withword 2003. I have tried every suggestion from the help
menue, however, I cannot get rid of the white streak at the bottom of one
cell after colour shading the whole table - I have coloured blocks of rows
with different colours. It was fine until I split this cell.