Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default how to open files written with older version of Word

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:38:01 -0700, sami wrote:

I have a series of files written on my old computer using Word 2000. I have
the trial version of Microsoft Office but I'm unable to open these files in a
readable version .
Is there a download that will help me? Thanks

Assuming your trial version is Office 2007...

Office 2007 and Office 2003 SP3 intentionally do not open documents from certain
older versions without special treatment. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 and
http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=519.

Office 2007 makes these files easier to deal with than 2003 does. Go to Office
menu | Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Trusted Locations.
Either make a note of the folders that are already indicated as trusted, or add
another folder to the list. Store the old documents in a trusted folder, and
they should open without problems.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman