Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default What are ._ type documents?

Word creates a variety of temporary files (see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm ) though the naming
syntax is not as you describe - however this naming structure may be a
function of a non-English version if that applies in your case.

The working files are essential and cannot be deleted or prevented. You
should only be concerned if they are not removed automatically when Word
(and Outlook) are closed.

LinLin wrote:
I am using Word 2003.

I have noticed that in my word folder, I have normal word files (for
example, xxxxx.doc) but also this kind of file: ._xxxxx.doc (that
is, full stop/underscore/name of file)

I gather this might have something to do with the file save options,
but I can't work out how to turn it off. The actual file is very
small and is not a proper back up of the original doc.
Any suggestions appreciated - thanks!