Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default What are ._ type documents?

Are you sure Word is closed? It may appear to be closed, but still running
if, for example, you have Outlook running. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and check
running processes.

LinLin wrote:
Hello Graham

It is an English version.

Yes - what you describe is correct - in my case, these files are NOT
automatically removed when Word is closed.
Any ideas why this occurs? Does it only happen when Word is closed
incorrectly crashes?
Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Word creates a variety of temporary files (see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm ) though the
naming syntax is not as you describe - however this naming structure
may be a function of a non-English version if that applies in your
case.

The working files are essential and cannot be deleted or prevented.
You should only be concerned if they are not removed automatically
when Word (and Outlook) are closed.

LinLin wrote:
I am using Word 2003.

I have noticed that in my word folder, I have normal word files (for
example, xxxxx.doc) but also this kind of file: ._xxxxx.doc (that
is, full stop/underscore/name of file)

I gather this might have something to do with the file save options,
but I can't work out how to turn it off. The actual file is very
small and is not a proper back up of the original doc.
Any suggestions appreciated - thanks!