Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Default What are ._ type documents?

To: LinLin,

Have you opened it up and taken a look? Can't hurt to just look. Chances are
that it is a left over temp file from Word or perhaps a left over compressed
file from some other application. But if the extension is .doc, then it
should be some sort of a document file. Take a look and if there is anything
of importance in it, that should give you some idea where it came from, and
if there is nothing of importance in it, or if you can't read whats in it,
delete it. Since if it was an important program file, it wouldn't be in a
document folder. Your document folder is for documents.

Steven Craig Miller

"LinLin" wrote:

I am using Word 2003.

I have noticed that in my word folder, I have normal word files (for
example, xxxxx.doc) but also this kind of file: ._xxxxx.doc (that is, full
stop/underscore/name of file)

I gather this might have something to do with the file save options, but I
can't work out how to turn it off. The actual file is very small and is not a
proper back up of the original doc.
Any suggestions appreciated - thanks!