Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anon Anon is offline

Default Word Numbering (word 2003) AAARRRGGGHHH

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.
Yesterday I found that the guy who gave me the document to proof and to make
suggestions- had hidden the text inside and invisible table.... when I made
the codes visible- it took me a while to figure out. Once I copied and
pasted the text outside the table and deleted the table- the formatting
started behaving like it should, except occasionally it would revert and
start messing up when I would try to put a bullet list under a particular
topic instead of 1.2.1.1.1 ( I don't like to get beyond 3 digits in my
documents- a sign that the doc is too complicated LOL)... and for a lab test
method, you don't need an indent number for a list of supplies or equipment
needed for the test.

Often a simple undo command would return the formatting to the proper
logic....thus indicating that these routines are still rather buggy...if
they can do something unpredictable during a shifted return and then an undo
restores things they way they should be

Thanks again

See "How to create heading and outline numbering in a document in
Microsoft Word" on fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website at:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on
a paid professional basis.

"Anon" wrote in message
I have a document from a coworker-
its a disaster in terms of numbering.

Word 2003 is hard enough to get the

1.0,
1.1,
1.2.
1.2.1
1.2.2
1.3
2.0
2.1 etc

to work decently- it has a mind of its own- lets say you put a bullet
list under 6.1, when I return to the text- I start getting 1.1, etc.

Is there a way to get numbering to behave. I can never remember a time
where numbering has EVER bahaved for me. Its always been a situation
where the more people editing a document, the worse it seems to get in
terms of trying to get a document to stay well-behaved when it comes to
auto numbering etc.

Thanks
Paul