Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default How do I change the link update method?

Sorry, I was away for a while...

If the "fix" in this article didn't help, then I can only suggest you contact
Microsoft Support and work on the problem with them.

There is no way to explicitly set a linked document to update automatically -
it should be doing that already (and they always have, in my experience, until
this security thing was introduced).

You remove the key in the Registry by selecting it, then right-click and
choose Delete. There is no other ("safer") way to remove something from the
Registry.

Unfortunately this did not change anything when we tested it. It still
doesn't update automatically at open.

Any other suggestions?
To recap:
Microsoft Office Professional 2003-Word
The Process:
Insert --file -- insert file as a link
when going into edit --links
the method of updating is currently set to manually update.

Goal: To make the linked items update automatically at open, rather than
click "update now".

I have tried updating the registry with the FieldCalcSecurityLevel that was
mentioned, but it didn't change anything, other than make my computer open
Word slower.

What is the safest way to delete this Registry Key?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org