Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Mailhot Tom Mailhot is offline

Default Can I create MailMerge template without a Data Source?

In previous versions of Word up through 2003 I could create a Mail Merge
template document by attaching just a header file using the
WordBasic.MailMergeOpenHeaderSource command. That allowed an administrative
user to create the Mail Merge document prior to the actual selection of the
merge data.

With Word 2007 I can't find a nice way to do that. Word now seems to
require a data source also be attached before it will allow any merge fields
to be added to the document. One workaround I've found is that I can attach
the header file as both the header source and the data source. Anyone have
something more elegant they can offer?

Thanks!
--
Tom