Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Converting ASCII tables to Word tables

What's happening when you press Enter at the end of an ASCII row is based on
your settings wrt "Apply as you type: Tables" on the AutoFormat As You Type
tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options. Unfortunately, the AutoFormat tab
doesn't include "tables" as an option, so AFAIK, there is no way to
accomplish what you want other than row by row.

"Robert Morley" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to convert an ASCII table to a Word table in Word XP?
I've found that interestingly enough, if I hit Enter at the end of an
ASCII table line, Word will insert a Word table with all the same column
divisions, properly aligned with the previous ASCII text row, but despite
that capability, it appears to be unable to actually convert from an ASCII
table to a Word table directly.

If it makes a difference, in this case, the ASCII table format is:

| Col 1 | Col 2 |
| Text | Text |

Doing a Convert Table to Text with | as the delimiter does a partial job,
but I'm hoping there's some better way of doing it than that.

Thanks,
Rob