Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jillie Jillie is offline

Default Remove extra space between first and last name when there is n

Hi Graham.
I cut and pasted your code and am still having trouble. I am using Word
2003 and my field names are First_Name_1, M and Last_Name_1. (on the drop
down list when i choose fields to insert the M is denoted as M#, but when i
insert the field it is just M. Have you seen this before? Could you do the
code with my field names please?? I triple checked the syntax and it still
doesn't work.
thanks so much.
Jillie

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You enter the fields where you want the potential initial and surname to
appear. The {} bracket pairs are each inserted with CTRL+F9

The complete name construction (all on one naturally wrapped line) would be

{MERGEFIELD FirstName}space{ IF { MERGEFIELD Initial } "" "{ MERGEFIELD
Initial }space{MERGEFIELD LastName }"Space"{ MERGEFIELD LastName }" }

or alternatively

{MERGEFIELD FirstName}Space{ IF { MERGEFIELD Initial } "" "{ MERGEFIELD
Initial }Space"}{ MERGEFIELD LastName }

Press Space where indicated as Space

Jillie wrote:
Thanks so much Doug and Graham,
Where in the process do I input this code? I am using the individual
fields and not the address block. i figured that out :-)
Jillie

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You need to use and If...then...Else field construction

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and
you use Alt+F9 to toggle off their display.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jillie" wrote in message
I have tried everything. I did a mail merge in Word and cannot seem
to remove the extra space between the first and last name in the
address block
on the letter when no middle initial is available.

My data fields are FirstName, MiddleInitial, LastName and some
people do not
have a middle initial so that field is blank for them in the data
source.

When it prints, the people without a middle initial have two spaces
between
their first and last names! Please help. thank you.