Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John John is offline

Default Increase Indent

Klaus - Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Using Ctrl+Spacebar did not work.

However, after thinking about your suggestions, I did a Ctrl+A, Ctrl+X, and
Ctrl+V.
All of a sudden, everything was working i.e. the Increase and Decrease
Indent worked.
So now when I click the Increase Indent, the formatting is now Normal +
Left: 0.5

This was very good news. However, it made me think about what exactly the
Increase and Decrease Indent buttons really do, so I put it to the test.

I created a new blank document.
I created three paragraphs and gave them the style Normal.
I selected the three paragraphs.
I then clicked the Increase Indent button on them.
The style changed to Normal + Left: 0.5"
So it works as expected.

Next, I created three paragraphs and gave them the style List Bullet 3.
I selected the three paragraphs.
I then clicked the Increase Indent button on them.
I expected the style to change to List Bullet 3 + Left: 0.5" but
it remained as List Bullet 3 and moved the first line indent and left tab on
the ruler.
In effect, the List Bullet 3 acted the same way the Normal had when Normal
was not working properly with the Increase Indent.

Strange but true. Perhaps, you know what is going on.

Anyway, I appreciate you correcting the problem with the Normal style not
working with the Indent buttons.