Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John John is offline

Default Merging Telephone numbers produces weird resulsts

Thank you again Peter for being helpful.

I decided to try the Text/Columns formatting again on all the telephone
number columns in Excel. It worked and now they are all formatting properly
in Word when merged.

I will watch to see if new records added cause any more problems. If they
do, we may have to perform the Data Text to Columns with each new record
entered in the spreadsheet.

Have an enjoyable weekend.
--
John R.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Hello John,

It is as if we have some strange loop hovering and it lands on

something new
and odd periodically just for fun.

Yes, it's easy to get that impression with software in general.

If your problem is immediate, i.e. you need to fix it right now to get
your mailing out, my best suggestion is to copy/paste your Excel data
into a Word document (if the column count doesn't exceed Word's maximum
table column count, this is more likely to be useful) and use that Word
table as a data source. At least you then have a better chance of seeing
what is going on.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

John wrote:
Thank you Peter for such a quick response. These problems are making me
crazy. The spreadsheet number columns were originally changed via the
Data/Text to Columns. Everything was working fine. Then the zip codes
started weirding out. I fixed that with your expert help, now the telephone
number columns, which were working fine previously, are no longer fine.