Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Creating Web Pages using Word

Hi James,

For help with your actual problem--you'll need to define what you mean by
"screwed up". Appear screwed up in Word HTML view, or when you load the
page online? Then provide a link to the page. On your machine or on all
machines? In all browsers? Is there a pattern to the letters that appeared
screwed up?

Arial, Verdana should be should be safe web fonts. So is Times New Roman,
you might test that.

One of the main problems with using Word for web pages is that it's near
impossible to troubleshoot, since Word doesn't actually build web pages, but
instead stores all the information it would need to reconstruct a Word
document from the HTML format. Most people don't understand, or care to
understand, the arcane process by which that is done. Word offers many
features that browsers simply won't understand/replicate.

Re creating webpages:

I'd go with Nvu, at least for now--I've looked at it briefly and it's
certainly no worse than Word, free, and it will help you get a basic
understanding of HTML to transfer into a more sophisticated app, as *any*
WYWIWYG program is easier to use if you can switch into code view and
understand what is going on.

There are a bunch of Mac web apps--many people recommend RapidWeaver, I
think. Ask over on the MacWord group. I'm pretty happy with Dreamweaver on
my Mac, but I get education discounts (and I'm not sanguine about what Adobe
will do to the next version of Dreamweaver).

PS. There are Mac Office dedicated newsgroups, which are probably a better
place to post your question.

See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

More info on using Newsgroups:
http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/AccessNewsgroups.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

Hope that helps,

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

On 9/2/06 12:05 AM, " wrote:

I'm a Mac user - I have Office 2004, I guess that means nothing to PC
users, but I use Word to create web pages, and will do so until I can
get something good and proper. I would use FrontPage except there is no
Mac version.

This may just be a Mac thing, but no matter what font I choose, some
letters appear screwed up ....I 've tried a number of fonts. I would
like to use Arial or Veranda but no success. Nor any luck with Comic
Sans or Helvetica ( I think thats a Mac font). Can nayone suggest a
web/Word/Mac friendly font?

Ideas? Suggestions? And yes, I am saving up for Dreamwaver

thanks!