Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Page numbering problem (Word 2000)

When used properly, section breaks shouldn't cause problems. Because so many
users don't understand sections, section formatting, section breaks, or the
various ways to use headers and footers, it's generally easier for novices
to avoid section breaks as much as possible.

"charles thiesen" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in news:uRyQrP89GHA.1220
@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

Section breaks should be avoided wherever possible, as should manual

page
breaks, as they are a recipe for disaster when a document is still being
edited. Neither should be inserted until editing is complete.

That leaves me with a problem. This is a technical manual for software

that
is continually improved. We need to be able to replace sections as the
software changes. So, the manual is done, I've inserted the section breaks
(and having done so at the end of this version still face that disaster).
And now it seems I'll have more problems down the road as I need to make
changes.

This sounds a lot more like a bug than a feature. Should MicroSoft be
documenting features that become recipes for disaster even when used as
directed?

Sorry. I'm not venting my spleen at you. I really appreciate your help.
It's just frustrating to rely on something that one expects to behave as
advertised.

thanks again,
- charles