Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles thiesen charles thiesen is offline

Default Page numbering problem (Word 2000)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

When used properly, section breaks shouldn't cause problems. Because
so many users don't understand sections, section formatting, section
breaks, or the various ways to use headers and footers, it's generally
easier for novices to avoid section breaks as much as possible.

I use Word professionally and don't consider myself a novice. (I'm not
insulted, but I thought you should know.) Although I haven't attempted
this much with section breaks before, I use them regularly to control
changes in headers and footers.

My use this time, although extensive, hardly seems that difficult. As
each chapter sub heading changes, I change the navigation header in the
left page header. This means I need a new section every other page or so.
On average I'd guess I have a section break every three pages. This
worked fine without a problem.

At new chapters I want Word to automatically change the page number in
the footer to reflect the chapter number 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, etc. I've
done this many times with no problem. I'm also changing the chapter title
in the same footer, but it's already a new section, so that shouldn't be
a problem.

This time, though, I have the problem that I described to you.

Again, I appreciate your swift replies.

Thanks very much,
- charles