Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default automatic mail-merge to saved document

I already have a Word document that does mail-merge from a .txt file, this
works fine. What I'd like to do is automate the process so that the user
doesn't have to click the "merge to new document" button. I'd also like to
automate the Save process so that as soon as the document is merged, the new
document is saved as a Word document. Ideally, I'd like to control the name
of the new document each time by assigning it a date/time stamp name, or
something similar. The main objective is to automate the process so that
when the merge document opens, it automatically performs the merge, then
automatically saves the resulting document to a new (unique) name, then
automatically closes the original document. Simple? Macro?

For example; I have a mail merge document named notice1.doc that has a data
source (.txt file) defined and all of the associated mail merge info ste up.
What I would like to happen is when the user opens notice1.doc, it opens
Word, opens notice1.doc, performs the mail merge, saves the new document as
yyyymmdd-hhmmss.doc, then closes completely.

Thanks for anyone that can help.