Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bod Bod is offline

Default ... Can I write custom Tool Tips ...

I want to be able to insert little tips to a form - as one can do in Excel.

The comments option in Word won't do for what I want because as Dr.Darrell
says it appears (or doesn't) dependent on the user's settings.

I am hoping to find a way to have it pop up - either on float over or on
click.
Your hyperlink idea might be my best option.

I am currently trying this: insert form control: "image (active X control)"
which has various properties - I haven't found how to add some text, but I
figured that this control or one similar might have some display text.

Can you tell me if something like this will work - maybe a different control
type, but ideally one I can stick a picture or symbol of a question mark on
top of.

Will this work without the section being protected?

Maybe having it so that it does actually bring up a dialogue box or similar
would be fine, but I don't want the user to have to enable macros.

I know - I want the Moon!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Another way to get a ScreenTip is with a hyperlink. Select and bookmark the
text you want to have the annotate, then reselect it and insert a hyperlink
to that bookmark (it will be self-referential, so the hyperlink won't go
anywhere). In the Hyperlink dialog, cleck ScreenTip... and type in your help
text. It will be preceded by Ctrl+click instructions, but that's about the
best you can do.

"Dr. Darrell" wrote in message
That worked nicely, except when I opened it on another machine the

comments
were extended over to the right and they were printable. So therefore, it
appears that the settings you discribed are local settings.

Is it possible to do this but have it as part of the file?

Is it

"Cooz" wrote:

Hi Dr. Darrell,

It's no beauty, but you can use Insert | Comment to achieve this.
Set Tools | Options... | tab Track Changes | 'Use Balloons (Print and

Web
layout)' to Never to avoid that your comments show up in the right

margin.

Good luck,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in

via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the

question?".
Thanks.

"Dr. Darrell" wrote:

I have a few lines of text in a form that may need to be modifiy for

various
applications. Is it possible to add a customized Tool Tip for that

line of
text.

If I place my cursor over a line of text a message pops on the screen
similar to:

If thare are multiple Items, then this statement needs to be

modified to
indicate plural terms.

If this is not too complicated, please give me some advice.

Darrell