Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Table of Contents Swallows Section Break

Yes, I'm sorry if I was not totally clear on this; it is much easier to see
if you Alt+F9 to toggle the TOC field; then you can see that all your
paragraph marks are inside the field.

"Michelle White" wrote in message
Bless you! That solved the problem.

I see now that when the TOC is inserted immediately before a Heading 1 (or
any style that has the "page break before" selected) the only way to do

any
formatting out of the TOC field is to have the typing cursor immediately

in
front of the Heading 1 text (in this case). I was inserting the section

break
at the end of the TOC (after creating paragraph breaks that were just
extending the TOC field, not getting outside of it) instead of at the
beginning of the next section.

Thanks so much!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have *never* encountered this type of problem unless the paragraphs

were
inside the TOC field.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Michelle White" wrote in

message
Actually, I had tried Shauna's suggestion; tried 1, 2, 3, 15, etc.

paragraph
breaks followed by a section break. It doesn't matter whether it's 1

or
more
returns, whether there is text typed in some lines, etc. Everything

that
exists on the last page of the TOC that is not part of the automatic

TOC
is
deleted during an update. It's too bad there not a selection for

'section
break before' in the paragraph settings because that does seem to

work. I
have been experimenting and the only thing that seemed to hold was

multiple
section breaks, so now, in order to have a section break after my TOC,

have
to have 2 blank pages (front and back) between the TOC and the first

chapter.
Again, I have not had a problem with this aspect of formatting

before - it
would be interesting to find out what is causing it to be a problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I believe the question *was* answered. You *must* have a paragraph

break
after the TOC before any page or section break to keep it from being
absorbed into the TOC field. This is easier to see if you view field

codes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Michelle White" Michelle wrote in

message
It seems to me that the original question was never answered. I

too am
experiencing the original problem - updating the TOC causes the

section
break
at the end of the table of contents to be deleted. Actually,

ANYTHING
added
to the last page of the table of contents is deleted when the TOC

is
updated
(I use Ctrl+A then F9 to go ahead and update all crossreferences

in
the
document at the same time). I am using XP with Office 2003.

At a previous job I used Windows XP and Office 2003 and did not

have
this
problem. I use Heading 1 to begin the page after the TOC and that

style
is
set to have a page break before, however, I also need a section

break
so
that
I can page number the TOC with Roman numerals and restart page

numbering
(1,2,3...) in section 2 which is the first chapter of the manual.

I would guess this is a bug, maybe related to a setting in

Options,
but I
sure can't figure it out. I've been doing this for 2 years with XP

and
Office
2003, written probably 20+ different operator's manuals and have

not
had
this
problem until the new installation on a new computer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And if all you need is a page break, don't use a manual page

break
(Ctrl+Enter); instead, format the heading itself as "Page break

before"
(Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks).

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Peter Kryszak" wrote

in
message
news Well, after a bit more fiddling and realizing that Alt-F9

allows
me to
put
the breaks where they should be I think I have it fixed. I

think
there is
bug in the section insertion when in Print View that puts it

in
the
wrong
place even though it looks correct at first. The TOC and

following
Heading 1
text are displayed together when the TOC is refreshed.

Anyway, use View Normal and Alt-F9. Move the {TOC...} junk up

bit
using
extra paragraph marks to separate it from the following

Heading 1
text. I
had to select the {TOC} tag and Remove Formatting and do this

for
some
of
the
paragraph marks too.

Then I had to reapply the formatting to what should have been

Heading
1
text
and add back the page break. Maybe that should have been a

section
break;
I'll try that now.

Thanks to Shauna for the clue of using Alt-F9. I really do

think
there
is
a bug in either the placement of the section/page break and/or

in
the
TOC
update code that swallows the paragraph marks and breaks.

--
Peter Kryszak
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.