Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffH JeffH is offline

Default Formatting problems - headers

The problem with inserting a page break before is that now I have a blank
page inserted in the middle of the document.

"JeffH" wrote:

I checked "page break before" and the header and parts of the page just
disappeared.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I assume you're referring to a heading rather than a header. This is a known
problem when you insert a manual page break; the page break inherits the
formatting of the following paragraph. You can get around this by deleting
the manual page break and formatting the heading as "Page break before." Do
this on the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph.

The small square indicates that "Page break before," "Keep with next," "Keep
lines together," or "Suppress line numbering" has been enabled for that
paragraph. All Headings 1-4 are by default formatted as "Keep with next."

For more on nonprinting characters, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"JeffH" wrote in message
I have a document where by I have headers. I have one header where by the
formatting carries over to the subsequent page. The header is shaded and
the
shading also appears on the previous page. If I delete the page break on
doesn't show.

When I look at the formatting all the other headers are preceded by a
small
square. This is obviously some indicator that I'm not familiar with.

I didn't create this document and not very familiar with it. It is in a
columnar format.