Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Default Smart quotes and index codes

I work in a law firm and we repeatedly have documents that have been
marked for index that have smart quotes that go "stupid". lol What I
mean is that the closing quote mark after the index marking appears as
an open quote, e.g., is the example of a term like (the "Issuer"{ XE
"Issuer" }" the final quote would appear as an open quote.

This usually arises when we have to do a Find & Replace to conform all
of the quotes in a document to be smart quotes. And it does not matter
whether the index markings are showing or hidden when we perform the
Find & Replace. The result is the same. We end up with the term being
surrounded by two open quotes.

I know that the default quotes within the index code itself are
straight quotes and we are not concerned about their appearance. It is
only the quotes around the term that actually appears in the document
that we are talking about.

When you use Find/Replace you can specify formatting, as well as text to
be found. With the focus in the "Find what" box, click the "Format"
button, choose font, and make sure "Hidden" is NOT activated. Now Find
should pick up only quotes that are NOT hidden.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org