Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Suppressing blank field when using an IF Statement in mail merge (word 2003)

What result are you getting? Did you use Ctrl+F9 to insert the field
delimiters { } ?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Fiona Pepper" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to "suppress" a blank field when I use the following IF
statement ...
{ IF {MERGEFIELD Location_Type} = "Office" "{MERGEFIELD Main_Employer}"
""}.

I have tried using the following:
\f
"" "
{IF{MERGEFIELD}"""True""False"}

Nothing seems to work, but maybe I am placing them in the wrong part of
the IF statement.

Any help that anyone can offer will greatfully be received.

Thanks in advance,
Fiona.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

Click on the ? button on the toolbar and then you should see a ? where you
25-Nov-07

Click on the ? button on the toolbar and then you should see a ? where you
pressed Enter.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Briza" wrote in message

On Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:26 AM
JoeDiGiuli wrote:

Problems with IF statement
Hello,

I am attempting to cater for a blank address2 in a mail merge. I have
written the following expression:

{ MERGEFIELD Title } { MERGEFIELD FristName } { MERGEFIELD LastName }
{ MERGEFIELD Addr1 }
{ IF { MERGEFIELD Addr2 } = "" "" "{ MERGEFIELD Addr2 }
" }{ MERGEFIELD City } { MERGEFIELD State } { MERGEFIELD Postcode }

The intention is to enter Addr2 and a carriage return if Addr2 is not
blank.
I have two problems with this at the moment:
1. The carriage return is not working
2. If the text for Addr2 is "Level 21" only 21 is being displayed.

I have included the spaces in the IF statement as it appears in my doc.
Can
someone point out where I have gone wrong? I am using Word 2003

Thanks in advance

On Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:18 AM
Graham Mayor wrote:

{ MERGEFIELD Title } { MERGEFIELD FirstName } { MERGEFIELD LastName }{
{ MERGEFIELD Title } { MERGEFIELD FirstName } { MERGEFIELD LastName }
{ MERGEFIELD Addr1 }{ IF { MERGEFIELD Addr2 } "" "
{ MERGEFIELD Addr2 }" }
{ MERGEFIELD City } { MERGEFIELD State } { MERGEFIELD Postcode

Joe Di Giulio wrote:

On Thursday, November 08, 2007 6:46 PM
Briz wrote:

Thank you.
Thank you.
This worked however if address2 is blank it shows this:

Bob and Jane Smith
12 Microsoft Street

New York

Whereas I want it to put the new york line on the address2 line if blank
like this:
Bob and Jane Smith
12 Microsoft Street
New York.

So could you tell me how to modify the if statement to do this?
Regards
Briza

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

On Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:28 PM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

You must put the carriage return exactly where it appears in Graham's
post{
You must put the carriage return exactly where it appears in Graham's post

{ MERGEFIELD Title } { MERGEFIELD FirstName } { MERGEFIELD LastName }?
{ MERGEFIELD Addr1 }{ IF { MERGEFIELD Addr2 } "" "?
{ MERGEFIELD Addr2 }" }?
{ MERGEFIELD City } { MERGEFIELD State } { MERGEFIELD Postcode

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Briza" wrote in message

On Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:29 AM
Briz wrote:

Thank you but how do I insert a carriage return.
Thank you but how do I insert a carriage return.
What is the key or key combination in word 2007?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

On Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:33 AM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

Use the Enter key-- Hope this helps.
Use the Enter key

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

On Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:42 AM
Graham Mayor wrote:

Press the enter key where ? is shown and nowhere else in the field
Press the enter key where ? is shown and nowhere else in the field
construction.

Briza wrote:

On Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:18 PM
Briz wrote:

Hmm..ok I'm still really confused about this eventhough it sounds so
simple.
Hmm..ok I'm still really confused about this eventhough it sounds so
simple.
When I press the enter/return key on my keyboard it doesn't bring up the
carriage return symbol but rather goes to the next line. I notice if I go
insert -- symbols -- special characters from the menu there is a symbol
that represents a paragraph.

All I want to do is insert a 2nd line address (which might be a PO Box for
example) on a separate line by itself. Please could you clarify how to do
this?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

On Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:09 PM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

Click on the ? button on the toolbar and then you should see a ? where you
Click on the ? button on the toolbar and then you should see a ? where you
pressed Enter.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Briza" wrote in message

What's New for Developers in SharePoint 2010 Object Model?
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...evelopers.aspx