Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default two spaces or one

For what it's worth, in Swedish texts this isn't an issue at all: always one
space, even if you use an ancient typewriter...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
One of my managers and I have differing opinions on this topic. I'm a
single space, he'd a double space. When I'm working on something he worked
on, I have to struggle with the desire to get rid of the extra space.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Stephen Larivee wrote:
What is the preferred way of typing today, to put one or two spaces
at the end of a sentence?

Preferred by whom?

This is the subject of one of those never-ending wars, akin to
PC-vs.-Mac. Neither side will give in soon.

One side maintains that one space is "correct" or at least sufficient
when writing in proportional fonts, and that the two-spaces practice is a
holdover from the fixed-pitch typewriter era. The other side maintains
that two spaces look better and improve readability even in proportional
fonts.

Word takes a more hands-off approach. You can set either preference in
the Spelling & Grammar options dialog, but an infraction will only be
marked, not automatically changed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman