Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

Default two spaces or one

In all my years of using any word processor, I have never once had anyone
contact me to point out whether there is one too many spaces in my
documents. Nor have they complained that there were'nt enough spaces.

The bottom line is, who really cares? Except maybe those who chastise others
for top posting ;-)

Tom
"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
: Stephen Larivee wrote:
: What is the preferred way of typing today, to put one or two spaces
: at the end of a sentence?
:
: Preferred by whom?
:
: This is the subject of one of those never-ending wars, akin to PC-vs.-Mac.
: Neither side will give in soon.
:
: One side maintains that one space is "correct" or at least sufficient when
: writing in proportional fonts, and that the two-spaces practice is a
: holdover from the fixed-pitch typewriter era. The other side maintains
that
: two spaces look better and improve readability even in proportional fonts.
:
: Word takes a more hands-off approach. You can set either preference in the
: Spelling & Grammar options dialog, but an infraction will only be marked,
: not automatically changed.
:
: --
: Regards,
: Jay Freedman
: Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: