Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default two spaces or one

Weird. I cannot see my post either. But it was of no great significance.

Terry Farrell

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
For some reason my similar reply to this post (made eleven minutes before
yours) is not showing up, and one posted by Terry is struck through and
marked as "unavailable." Looks like we're having server upsets again.
sigh

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Stephen Larivee wrote:
What is the preferred way of typing today, to put one or two spaces
at the end of a sentence?

Preferred by whom?

This is the subject of one of those never-ending wars, akin to
PC-vs.-Mac. Neither side will give in soon.

One side maintains that one space is "correct" or at least sufficient
when writing in proportional fonts, and that the two-spaces practice is a
holdover from the fixed-pitch typewriter era. The other side maintains
that two spaces look better and improve readability even in proportional
fonts.

Word takes a more hands-off approach. You can set either preference in
the Spelling & Grammar options dialog, but an infraction will only be
marked, not automatically changed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman