Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

Default two spaces or one

In ,
CyberTaz typed:
Hi Stephen;

One more voice to the choir after having watched this
conversation... Whenever it arises :-) I'm always tempted
to ask one fundamental question;

If you think back to when you first were taught to print
sentences, did your teacher instruct you to put "2 spaces"
between sentences or was the instruction to leave "space"
between sentences?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Yeah, but ... wouldn't you consider cursive writing to be moot
compared to a set of keys?

On 4/3/10 12:59 PM, in article
, "Stephen Larivee"
wrote:

I had wondered if one of these choices had emerged as the
standard for word processing. I was going to try to adapt
to the "one space after the period" if that were the
standard of today. Apparently you can still do it either
way so I will stick with the way I have been typing/word
processing for many years now, two spaces after the
period, with no guilt feelings about violating current
usage.

Thank you, everyone, for all the input!!

"LVTravel" wrote in message

"Stephen Larivee" wrote in message
What is the preferred way of typing today, to put one or
two spaces at the end of a sentence?

OK, now since you posted over 10 hours ago and have
gotten quite a bit of advice, here is the definitive
answer. It totally depends on your target audience and
personal preference in that order. If you are doing a
document that is going to be published and are told to
use a particular style publication manual then you need
to use it for your work.

If this is correspondence to a business associate, where
neatness counts, find out what the company policy may be.
After all you are working for the company. If they don't
care, as long as it is neat and readable, then you
shouldn't care either.

I came up through the typewriter days and had to double
space after the period all the time. I now normally
single space on a computer as this is just one less
keystroke I have to make between sentences. I still
forget sometime and do put double spaces between
sentences some times. Again mostly it will be personal
choice.

Have a great day.