Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Default Ctrl-a, F9 doesn't work to update all fields including TOC

Hi,

maybe, the fields are locked by Ctrl + F11.
Press Ctrl+ Shift + F11 to unlock.
Or the fields are locked by a switch (\!).
Press Alt + F11 to check the field code.

Nope. I already tried both of those (actually alt+f9
for reveal codes; alt+f11 on my machine opens
the visual basic window).

Sorry. Of course Alt + F9 toggles between field codes and field results. And
in the field codes you did not find the switch...

You wrote: "Updating the cross-references or TOC individually work".
Does this mean, fields *can* be updated, e. g. using right mouse click
(update field)? But they cannot updated by pressing F9?
Did you check shortcut keys in the document? Is F9 assigned to a different
command?

--
Cheers,
Lisa