Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Page numbering in a template

Page X of Y makes use of two fields (a PAGE field and a NUMPAGES field).
Updating is simpler within headers and footers (as you have noticed). In
this case, the content control may complicate matters even further...

What you can do is update the fields by selecting them and pressing F9.
Alternatively, force an update by switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and
then return to your previous view (ESC). A third option is using a macro to
update fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SueY128" wrote in message

I have created a template which is a table with 3 columns and 2 rows.
The top row has the 3 columns and in the left column there are 3 Rich
Text Content Controls for the user to enter info, in the center column
is text that is unchangeable, and in the 3rd column there are 2 Rich
Text Content Controls and the 3rd line there needs to show Page # of #.
The 2nd row is one column and has one Rich Text Content Control for user
entry. These 2 rows I have selected as column header so the info
repeats on all pages. The problem is that I can't get the Page # of #
to function, no matter what I do. The only place it has worked is if I
put it in the footer. Client does not want it in the footer - it must
be in the top row, 3rd column under the 2 Rich Text Content Controls. I
am almost bleeding from knocking my head against the wall on this. Can
the be made to work in this situation and how??

Any assistance in this will be greatly appreciated!

Sue

--
SueY128