Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle

Default If then else question

Thanks for your prompt reply, but unfortunately, I now understand this is not
the result I want, after all. I have 5 mergefields for names ("John Smith",
etc) and 5 merge fields for descriptions ("an individual") but don't know in
advance how many the record will actually contain.

This is what I got using your suggestions:
JOHN SMITH, an individual
MARY SMITH, an individual
an individual, and
an individual, and
an individual, and
an individual, and

Here's the result I really need:
JOHN SMITH, an individual
MARY SMITH, an individual, and

So, I always need ", and" after the last name.

Is there a way to do this? Sorry about my confused mind!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD NAME2 } = "" "{ MERGEFIELD NAME1description }, and " "{
MERGEFIELD NAME1descript }" }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and Alt+F9
to toggle their display.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Michelle" wrote in message
Can somebody help me with the correct syntax for the following:

If NAME2 is blank
Then NAME1description + ",and"
Else NAME1descript