Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Uninstall/Reinstall of Office (Word) 2000

Neither did Graham say that WOrd was crashing. He suggested following the
procedures listed because that may fix your problem. Reinstalling rarely
resolves any issues because many settings are not removed. But if you know
better, go ahead and waste time.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I doubt that re-installing Office will make a jot of difference from
repairing Office. Uninstalling will not remove your personalisations.

Before making this reckless step, may I suggest that you see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
then before restarting Word, rename normal.dot to oldnormal.dot and
rename the Word data key in the registry to OldData -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\ Word\Data

If you still have problems - see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

I didn't say Word is crashing. I said the Envelopes & Labels is
taking Word in and out of focus, and its settings box won't take
changes or allow entry into the return address. All I can do is
highlight the address in the doc, go along with the focus changes,
print the recipient's address on the envelope, and manually add mine.
Before the last hard-drive related reinstallation with XP/SP2 E &L
operated normally for years. I'm open to suggestions.

RM

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the
box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address
or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has
had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't
work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of
Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings,
especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of
the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I make copies of?
Thanks.

Roger