Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

Default Plagiarism

Some students are not computer savvy enough to delete their files from
temp directories, so the next student at the machine might be capable
of finding the solution of the previous. I don't think you can blame
the original creator for that.

Maybe you could do something with track changes. If you activate
'track changes' and make sure the display is set to 'final' (this
probably is possible in a template), you might catch a couple of them
as each change by a different user should be clearly visible. So if
they would have to put their name on the first page, you would notice
if only that was changed. Smart students might of course get around
that.

If you can provide each student with a separate document to start
from, then you have a couple of options:
-you could add some kind of hidden field
-Word 2007 docx files are nothing more than simple zip files, you
could put an extra unique file in there for every student

An alternative solution, which involves more work for you, is to come
up with a couple of variations to the same exercice (bold vs italic,
small caps vs capital letters, different alignment, different font
size, ...). When the students have to alter the file they copied for a
different variation of the same exercice, they will pretty fast
realise that it is just less work to do the entire thing themselves.

Yves

On 30 sep, 23:42, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If they're not very savvy (and are using their own personal computers and
not ones in a lab somewhere), looking at the document Properties might be
revealing. But I would use Compare Documents to compare the files and, if
they are identical (or even sufficiently similar), give an F to *all* the
students involved. It doesn't matter who wrote the document; if he shared
it, he is cheating just as much as the ones who copied it.

"gotcha" wrote in message

In teaching an Intro to Office 2007 at a tech college, I have to deal with
few students (usually young males) who want to pass around one copy of a
project file for 3 or 4 of them to submit as their own work. So far, my
evidence is that each student displays exactly the same lengthy list of
detail errors. I would like something more concrete and less labor
intensive
for me.

Is there something buried in a Word, Excel, etc., file that would uniquely
identify that 3 copies of the same project file came from the same copy of
Word or from the same Wintel machine?- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -