Charles Kenyon

Rounding is supposed to get you to the (approximately) closest digit. So
..0549 will round to .05 while .055 will round to .06 if you are specifying 2
decimal places for rounding. Take a look at Greg's last formula which
doesn't use the Round function at all.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Dawn Rhoads" Dawn wrote in message
Hmmm... yep, rounding definitely seems to be the culprit. Do you know
what
exactly the "round" feature does? A fellow here thinks he can determine
mathmatically what we need to do, regardless of how the rounding actually
works, as long he knows what the rounding will actually do.

When I tried your IF field, I got a result of $100, when I entered a total
pages of 201, with a rate of 200. (Is that what you get, or have I
entered
the calculation incorrectly?) That isn't right. What it should be is
$400.
I probably haven't explained the math very clearly. For every 50 pages
over
100, there is a fee of $200. So, 0-100 pages gets $0 fee. 101-150 pages
get
a $200 fee. 151-200 pages gets a $400 fee. 201-250 gets a $600 fee,
etc.

Thanks again for any help you can offer!

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Dawn,

This one is not as easy as you might expect. This is due in part to the
fact that Word has no Round Up function.

I didn't have time to refine this but it will work. For the purpose of
this
example, lets put Total in cell a1 and put Rate in Cell b1

The formula
{ IF a1 "100""{
=round((((a1-100)/50*b1)+(MOD(((a1-100)/50*b1),1)0)/2),0) }""0"}

should work. Note the field braces { } must be entered with CTRL+F9
--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Dawn Rhoads wrote:
I am trying to insert an if calculation into a Word table. It will
reference two other fields in other locations in the table. One is a
number of pages (let's call that "Total"). Another is a rate
("Rate"). We think we have the math figured out, but I don't have
enough experience with IF and calculation fields to figure this out
very easily.

We also think it will use the "round" function, which we think means
if a number in our calculation is a decimal, it will be rounded up to
the nearest whole number.

IF the Total100, then round (Total-100)/50*Rate, ELSE 0.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!