Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jo4321 Jo4321 is offline

Default Data from access database into a word table

I have created a database to do mailings and envelopes. My boss would also
like a one or two page list showing all the folks the letter was sent to,
along with some other information from the database. I created a word
document to put this in. I use the directory function to run the merge,
however, when I run the merge, the titles of my columns come up on each
record (rather than being one long table with only one heading).

To help visualize, my word doc "directory" is set up like so:

NAME ADDRESS SCHOOL
name address block school

When I do the merge, it comes out like this

NAME ADDRESS SCHOOL
John Doe 123 Anywhere St. Univ. of MD
Anytown, MD 12345

NAME ADDRESS SCHOOL
Jim Beam 456 Anywhere St. Univ. of MD
Anytown, MD 12345

NAME ADDRESS SCHOOL
Jack Daniels 111 Malt Lane Penn State
Anytown, MD 12345

But what I want is this:
NAME ADDRESS SCHOOL
John Doe 123 Anywhere St. Univ. of MD
Anytown, MD 12345
Jim Beam 456 Anywhere St. Univ. of MD
Anytown, MD 12345
Jack Daniels 111 Malt Lane Penn State
Anytown, MD 12345

I tried to remedy this problem by taking the column titles out and making
them a "header" in word, however, now there is a space between the header
and the first record. I can't get figure out how to get rid of the space.
(I could send an example if anyone would like to see what I mean)

Maybe there is a totally different way using reports in access, but I
couldn't figure it out, because my name and address fields are all separate
fields.

TIA,
Jo