Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Issue with inserting an Access database to Word

OK, I still do not encounter this problem, using the same version of
Word. But...
a. are you inserting your table as a field (via the checkbox in the
dialog box that appears when you click Insert Data). If not, can you
please try that, then...
b. use Alt-F9 to see the DATABASE field that Word has inserted (if
any), select all the material between the { } field code braces, and
post it here?
c. Use Alt-F9 to hide the field code, select it, press F9 to execute
it and see if you have the same result.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 14/04/2010 19:09, Kristina wrote:
Ok, here goes:

1. Word 2003 - (11.8313.8221) SP3
Access 2003 - (11.8133.8221) SP3

2. it's a .mdb

3. No, when I choose "Get Data" the "Select Database" dialogue box appears,
I select the database and it returns to the "Database" dialogue box.

4. Database is in a shared folder on a Windows server.

5. Copied the database and tried to insert and it still didn't work, copied
it to various locations on our server (where I have various permissions
levels) it did not work at any of them, doesn't even work from My
Documents...

One other thing, I made a copy of this database a few days ago and saved it
to My Documents and it works. But I copy the database today to My Documents
and this new copy doesn't work - I checked all document properties and
settings and found no differences in their settings.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I'm not sure I can help as I cannot replicate this problem right now. But...

Which version of Word/Access? (can you provide the complete version
number including SP etc. from the Help-About or Office button-Word
Options-Resources-About - e.g. here I have
Word 2007 (12.0.6514.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000)
but even
"Word 2007 SP2"
might be handy.

Is the database a .accdb, .mdb, or what? Is it standalone or a front end
to something else, and if so, what?

When you connect to the data, are you seeing a "Confirm Data SOurce"
dialog box that lets you select a particular type of connection (OLE
DB/ODBC/DDE?) If so, which are you choosing?

What type of server/share is the database on - e.g. is it on a shared
folder on a Windows domain server?

Are you in a position to create a database in the same server folder
with the same permissions and shareability, but which in fact no-one
else is sharing? If so, are you able to insert data using that?

FWIW if you are using Word 2007, a number of people mentioned that they
had difficulty connecting to .mdb s over a network, or were seeing
corrupted data etc. However, it's possible that some of those problems
have been fixed in Word 2007 SP2 or even earlier.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 14/04/2010 01:21, Kristina wrote:
I'm attempting to insert a shared Access database into Word using the Word
"Insert Database" tool.

I select the database query to run from, limit the fields, and insert the
data - then I get an hourglass for a bit and when that's done I get
nothing... not even an error message. There is data in the fields I'm pulling
(I double-checked).

The Word document at that point acts like I've changed it (requests a save
on close), but there is no data on the screen.

This process works when I create a local copy of the database that no other
user is in, but not when I use the shared database on our server. Is this a
known issue with permissions? Or is there a work-around that I'm missing?

.