Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Default mailmerge

Sorry Cookie -

Word and mail merge doesn't allow you to backup to previous records.
Merging is a forward only process, so once you have all the information
about record 1 - John Smith, and have moved to record 2 - Jane Doe, then
you won't be able to back up and get John's address out of the database.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"cookie" wrote in message
:

..thanks Rich. I don't think I have explained the problem very well so I'll
try again.
For an example: The first page of the letter will contain details from the
first 8 records in the database, hence the use of 'next record' after each
mergfield. The second page requires exactly the same data to be taken from
the same first 8 records in the database. The difference between the two
pages is purely in the added text. I have tried omitting the last 'next
record' on the first page to see if the merging proces will recognise the
request for data from the database as a new request for the second page but I
still get the same result.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/24/2007 11:27 AM