Yes, you can make customizations in another .dot file and save it in Word's
Startup folder. It will be loaded as a global add-in and will make your
customizations available to you. So that you're clear on this:

1. Customizations that can be made this way include toolbar buttons and menu
entries, AutoText, macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like.

2. They do not include styles (including the default font) or any
document/section-level formatting such as paper size or orientation,
margins, columns, etc. For customizations of that type, create specific
document templates.

For more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

"Edgar Thoemmes" wrote in message
Hi

I would like to change my normal.dot file but unfortunately our IT
department insist on making it a read only file and will not let me amend

it.

I was wondering if it is possible to create a new template and to use this
instead of the normal.dot file?

Thanks

Edgar