Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Default Need Help From Word Experts

jon_banquer wrote:
[..]
"There are, however, empty paragraphs every other page (well, I didn't
look too far into the document, to be honest) -- that's something which
is a no-no in any long document."

Only time I do that is to get the manual page breaks I put in to be the
lowest thing on the page.

Don't use manual page breaks. If you want to force a paragraph unto a
new page, set its paragraph property (Format | Paragraph in the 2nd tab:
"Page break before").

Also I do it this on the top of each page in
case I need to do further editing as this at one point seemed to help
me.

OK, if you take an empty paragraph that you still need to insert
something in there, that's fine. While you are at that stage of the
document, you should not at all think about final pagination, though
(and not about whether a certain paragraph should have more or less
spacing before/after).

Since you did take the time to download my document but have not looked
through it maybe you can look through it and see why I chose to /
needed to have the same Heading with different spaces before and after.

I have looked "through" it, but it still escapes me why you would _want_
to have differently spaced heading 2 styles. Nothing in there will tell
me that, only you can.

I gotta tell you that even though I just started using Open Office
Writer I'm not having these problems in Open Office Writer !

Makes me wonder why. :)

Maybe it suits your way of working better. Word's styles, esp. when it
comes to heading/numbering styles, have a somewhat steep learning curve.

Also the documentation that is written by their volunteers is just
excellent. Way better than what MS provides with Word !

Well, you just have to check out the documentation by the MS volunteers,
too! ;-)

In any case more specifics on what I should change after you have
looked through the rest of my document would be very helpful.

I suggest you take a look through all the answers in this thread again,
carefully, and read up on referenced material. And answer questions by
those who try to help you. [But don't expect anyone on the Usenet to do
your work for you ... :-)]

HTH
Robert
--