Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default 1st row of data does not become field names

A simple example seems to work OK here. You defintely /have/ field names in
the first row?

When you try to conect to the workbook, do you see a dialog box with the
names of each sheet and a check box about the first row of data containing
headers? If so, are you definitely picking the correct sheet name (and not
perhaps a named range? I don't think checking/unchecking the box actually
makes any difference but it's probably best left checked.

That's all pretty standard stuff so I doubt if you are actually doing any of
it wrong. Other than that, if you create a really simple new workbook from
scratch (say, 2 columns, 1 row of column headings, one data row) and save it
as a .xlsx and a .xlsm, can you connect to either of those OK? Or does the
..xslx work but not the .xlsm?

Peter Jamieson
"joe schmo" wrote in message
when I choose an xlsm file to be a data source, i pick an excel sheet.
But
when it merges. the field names are the first row of data as opposed to
Name, etc. How can this be solved?
thanks