Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How can MS Word macro help in my PhD thesis writing?

Hi Raj,

As Suzanne said, using styles correctly is extremely helpful. See this link
for an example:
"Save Yourself Hours by Using Outline View"
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...singOLView.htm

Macros and other automation tricks are most useful when you find yourself
doing the exact same thing over and over again.

For instance, I often have to run the same Find and Replace, so I recorded a
macro that lets me run it in one click instead of setting it up over and
over again.
"Creating a macro with no programming experience using the recorder"
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/UsingRecorder.htm

For instance, if you frequently Insert a Table, and then have to reformat
it, you might set up an AutoText that saves your table in your custom
format.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

If you frequently type the same long words, you might set up abbreviations
in AutoCorrect.
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoCorrect.htm

So, this is rather an impossible question to answer, because no one on this
board knows what repetitive tasks you have, that might suit a macro or other
automation.

There are more links aimed at writers of theses and books he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

On 10/12/06 8:06 PM, "Raj" wrote:

I want to speed up my PhD thesis writing as I have to finish in two months
time. What are the different uses of Macro's that I can use to efficiently
use Microsoft word in writing my thesis? The helps are very basic thats
available online. Can anyone tell me precisely how to use macro. Or can you
also guide me to the correct website which has video clips on its use?
Thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/