Ruth Levinson

Sorry - Must have hit enter or something while I was typing!

I started to say that when I hit Ctrl+Hyphen and then a number, only the
number shows up, not a hyphen character.

Thanks, Suzanne, for clearing that up for me! :-)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds to me like he's typing the "conditional hyphen" (Ctrl+Hyphen),
which, when nonprinting characters are displayed, is displayed as a ¬
(character 00AC).

"Ruth Levinson" wrote in message
Chuck -
I'm not seeing the hook with the 2212 character, or the Ctl-Shft-dash in
Times New Roman. What character are you typing?

"Chuck Davis" wrote:

Ruth, look closely. On my version of Word 2003, the character was not a
straight line when using Times New Roman, but a little drop on the end.

It
was correct with Verdana.
"Ruth Levinson" wrote in

message
Thanks so much to those of you who replied! That's just what I

needed.

Ruth

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Or you could use a minus sign (character 2212) instead. I also use

this
as a
substitute for an en dash when the dash wants to break at the end of

line.
And I ordinarily use an en dash instead of a hyphen for a minus sign
because
it is the same width as the plus sign and the numerals.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote in
message
Type a nonbreaking dash (Ctrl+Shift+hyphen) instead of a regular

dash
before the number.

Ruth Levinson wrote:

When I type a line with a negative number like -4.00 at the end,

Word
will
break off the minus sign and leave it at the end of the line, and

put
the
4.00 on the next line. I can't figure how to keep Word from
automatically
splitting the minus sign from the number. If I catch it, I have

go
in and
add spaces in the line to put the minus sign back with the number

at
the
beginning of the next line.

Any suggestions?