Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Grammar and contextual spelling in Word 2007- RAM requirements???

Fear not... Contextual spelling is, as you guessed, a new feature that
tries to catch commonly confused words (to, two, too; were, where).
That is the only part of the spelling/grammar checker that requires
more memory. The older part, which looks for spellings that aren't in
Word's dictionary and for violations of grammar rules, continues to
work as before.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:37:08 -0800, m61376
wrote:

Hi- I was thinking about upgrading to Office 2007, but I saw that Grammar and
contextual spelling in Word wasn't turned on unless you have 1GB of memory.
My daughter's laptop only has 768 MB of RAM.

Is 1 GB required for the spell check function to work, or is it just not
turned on automatically unless there is a gig of RAM (and that I can select
it through the toolbar)? Is contextual spelling the same as spell check found
in Word 2003, or is it a new feature that distinguishes between too and two,
for example. Will the standard spell check work with only 768 MB of RAM, or
is there only a single type of spell check inthe new program?