Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Grammar and contextual spelling in Word 2007- RAM requirements

That decision is for each person to make (unless your upgrade is dictated by
the business you work for). You can use the trial version on the Microsoft
web site and decide for yourself.

Personally, there are a lot of things I love about the new version, and some
things I find terribly frustrating. You probably won't like and dislike the
same things, because I'm sure we use Word in very different ways and have
different training and skills.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

m61376 wrote:
Thanks Jay!
BTW- Do you like the upgrade? I have a friend who put 2003 back on
because he didn't like it. Wonder if it is worthwhile.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Fear not... Contextual spelling is, as you guessed, a new feature
that tries to catch commonly confused words (to, two, too; were,
where). That is the only part of the spelling/grammar checker that
requires more memory. The older part, which looks for spellings that
aren't in Word's dictionary and for violations of grammar rules,
continues to work as before.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:37:08 -0800, m61376
wrote:

Hi- I was thinking about upgrading to Office 2007, but I saw that
Grammar and contextual spelling in Word wasn't turned on unless you
have 1GB of memory. My daughter's laptop only has 768 MB of RAM.

Is 1 GB required for the spell check function to work, or is it
just not turned on automatically unless there is a gig of RAM (and
that I can select it through the toolbar)? Is contextual spelling
the same as spell check found in Word 2003, or is it a new feature
that distinguishes between too and two, for example. Will the
standard spell check work with only 768 MB of RAM, or is there only
a single type of spell check inthe new program?