Margaret Aldis

Yes, by 'unnumber' I mean remove the numbering, leaving everything else as
is. of course, you might want to fiddle with the indents or something else
as well, depending on your format (use of margins etc.) for the two
different styles, but you'll see that in your actual document.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"ML" wrote in message
Thanks! This might do exatly what I need.

Basically I want to have the userform allow the user to select the desired
numbering or nonnumbering style and add or remove the numbers based on

this.

So would calling the following on each style basically remove the

numbering
and leave the rest of the style formatting as is? Not 100% sure what you
mean on this in terms of unnumbering.

ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 1").LinkToListTemplate _
ListTemplate:=Nothing

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
If you are going to write macros anyway, and need the ability to swap
between numbered and unnumbered formats rather than mix and match, then
probably the neatest way of doing this is to use a single set of styles,
and
macros to number/unnumber them.

Unnumbering is fairly straightforward - statements like:

ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 1").LinkToListTemplate _
ListTemplate:=Nothing

for each of the styles.

Numbering is a bit trickier, as you need to do this in a way that

doesn't
build up list templates. Have a look at the code at
http://www.syntagma.demon.co.uk/FAQs...le.htm#example

for the basic model. Ignore the first bit which sets up a specific

style -
the main statements you want start at the comment "Create the list
template
if it doesn't exist. " You'll need to adapt the code for your styles and
numbering format, and provide a name for your list template. (If you
record
a macro of setting up headings from the top level style, following the
manual steps as described in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
you'll see what parameters you need.)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"ML" wrote in message
We have a document template we are developing that has two sets of
styles,
one for numbered headers/section and one for unnumbered.

Is there anyway that we can control which styles are shown to the user

based
on say a userform selection where the user picks if they want the
numbered
or unnumbered version?

Secondly, is there anyway to replace all the styles throughout a

document
from one type to another, so that a macro could possibly be used to
change
all the styles from the numbered version to the unnumbered version?