Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Default Word 2007 prompts to save unchanged files

Could it be that there are certain fields in your documents which get
updated automatically when opening the file? If so, they might be
responsible for the changes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211629

Yves

"srtriano" wrote in message
Why does Word 2007 ask to save unchanged files when I try to close them?

When I close files in Word 2007, *most of the time* Word prompts me "Do
you
want to save changes to (filename)?" whether or not I made any changes to
the
file.

It happens even if I just opened the file and immediately closed it. At
least the problem is consistent. It ALWAYS happens to certain files (most
of
them) and NEVER happens to others. Still, I cannot figure out what is
different between these files. The files that prompt saving do not seem
any
more complex than the files that don't prompt the save dialog! It happens
Word 1997-2003 files as well as to Word 2007 files.

This is annoying and may result in saving the wrong file or accidentally
discarding changes I made. Help!