Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nick H. Nick H. is offline

Default Master Sub Documents (Thesis writing with Word)

Hello,

I am planning to write my thesis using Word 2003 and I read about the
possibility to use the "Master-Sub Document" functionality (hope this is
the write English term, in German this function is called
"Zentral-Filial-Dokument").

My first question is whether anyone has a good pointer to a little tutorial
for that. Next, is this function prone to produce corrupt files?

I was thinking of organizing my document in several files (one for each
chapter) which are in stored separate folders (one for each chapter). Also,
I won't import files into my master document, but I will create the sub
documents out of the master document.

1) How can I set a common formatting layout for the "slave" documents
because in the process of working with them, I will need a little bit of
formatting?

2) I might make changes in the "slave" documents and might rename them,
e.g., chapter1-v1.doc, chapter1-v2.doc, etc. How does this affect the
master document?

3) I will send out the various chapters (i.e., slave files) to a reviewer
who will make corrections in Word right away. Any thoughts on that and how
it will affect the Master document structure?

4) When everything is finished, I will need to include a title page, a TOC,
and a few other introductory pages. Is this something I need to foresee
already now?

If you have any suggestions for me, I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance.

--
Nick H.
niko25at "at" yahoo "dot" de