Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar
Mike G Mike G is offline

Default Not happy with "The staff are happy" OR "The staff is happy"

I copied and pasted your examples into my copy of w07 and got the same
results as you.

"Mari Broman Olsen" Mari Broman wrote in
message news
Here's what I see on Word 2007

Staff is happy. [Correctly not flagged]
The staff are happy. [Correctly flagged]
The staff is happy. [Correctly not flagged]
A staff is happy. [Correctly not flagged]

What's the issue?

"Bill Davy" wrote:

In fact, the grammar checker seems to have green twiddlyitis with the
following:

The staff are happy. "staff are" have twiddles (suggests "staff is" but
see
below)

Staff are happy. "staff are" have twiddles (suggests "Staff is" or
"Staffs
are"

Staff is happy. "Staff" has twiddles (suggests "staffs").

The staff is happy. "Staff" has twiddles (suggests "staffs" but see
above).

A staff is happy. "A staff" has twiddles (suggests "Staffs")

Is it fixable? How?

Word 2003 SP2.