Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Not happy with "The staff are happy" OR "The staff is happy"

Can be and often is, but I don't believe it was ever correct. I guess this
is just another case of evolving usage.

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Depends on where you are. In the UK, staff can be considered a
collective noun, much as corporate entities, and often is considered
plural.

"gordo" wrote in message
Staff is a singular noun. Staff is agreement with the verb "is". If
it was a plural noun, such as staffs, then "staffs are happy" is in
agreement. I think.

Gordo

"Mari Broman Olsen" Mari Broman
wrote in message
news
Here's what I see on Word 2007

Staff is happy. [Correctly not flagged]
The staff are happy. [Correctly flagged]
The staff is happy. [Correctly not flagged]
A staff is happy. [Correctly not flagged]

What's the issue?

"Bill Davy" wrote:

In fact, the grammar checker seems to have green twiddlyitis with
the following:

The staff are happy. "staff are" have twiddles (suggests "staff
is" but see
below)

Staff are happy. "staff are" have twiddles (suggests "Staff is" or
"Staffs
are"

Staff is happy. "Staff" has twiddles (suggests "staffs").

The staff is happy. "Staff" has twiddles (suggests "staffs" but
see above).

A staff is happy. "A staff" has twiddles (suggests "Staffs")

Is it fixable? How?

Word 2003 SP2.